Thursday, February 14, 2008

Stimulus Plan

I was reading up on this for work and thought I might share the details in layman's terms (as best I can).
  • If you are married and you had at least 1,200 in tax liability (form 1040, line 44), then you get a 1,200 rebate.
    • If you have less than 1,200 in tax liability, then you get a refund of the tax amount, with a minimum of 600 for married people (300 minimum for singles).
  • You have to have at least 3,000 in earned income or social security income.
  • Even if you don't normally file a tax return because you don't owe taxes (i.e. your only income is social security), you need to file a return this year to get on the IRS rebate list.
  • You get an additional $300 for each kid that also qualifies for the child tax credit (with no limit as far as I can see)
    • That means $1,800 for us!!!
  • Payments start going out in May and continue through the summer.
  • I would recommend filing on time and not filing an extension this year. It will likely delay your rebate.
  • Here's a nifty calculator I found:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for clearing that up. My parents will be happy to hear that SS income counts.
Blake