Friday, September 26, 2008

Along Came a Spider


We found this in our yard last weekend. I walked into the web when I was watering the trees and bushes we had just planted in the back yard. I was glad I composed myself pretty well in front of the boys, because this thing almost ended up on my head. It is the biggest spider I've probably ever seen in the wild. It was about the size of a baseball.

We looked it up afterward and found out it is a Yellow Garden Spider. Harmless to humans, but freaky looking. Freaky enough to warrant a few pictures, some study by my boys, and then a swift stomp with my boot. Sorry spider, you just don't look friendly enough to share a yard with.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You killed it? No way! Those things eat other pests, and they look cool, not scary.